Friday, September 18, 2009

Getting PET Scan Next Week!

After last Thursday's big chemo, I finally started to feel better on Wednesday. Then yesterday, I was back in for another herceptin dose, followed by an exam by my oncologist. Prior to the exam, her nurse assistant told me that I needed to have three more big chemo treatments before my cycle would end. Last week's treatment (the third of three) left me worn out, nauseous and feeling horrible for six days, so that news was devastating to me.

So, I put on the cloth gown, prepared myself to hear I have two more months of chemo, and soon my oncologist came in for the exam. She felt the lymph nodes under my arm, which two months ago were very swollen and sore. The swelling and pain was gone! She said it was time for another PET/CT scan to check the status of the tumors. If they have been reduced in size (which the lymph nodes certainly have) my chemo treatment schedule might be reduced – preferably to something less harsh.

I was thrilled with this news! I scheduled the scan for next week, and will hopefully find out if the meds (aka poisons) have been working. My doctor seemed to be optimistic about the results. For me, this was the positive boost I needed. Whether or not the treatments have shrunk the tumors, at least I will have an update soon. For an ‘impatient patient’ like myself, knowing SOMETHING is better than nothing, and I ‘think’ that what I will find out will be worth the pain. This all can’t be for nothing, right???

Everyone who continues to pray for me, make meals for my family, offer to help with my kids, shopping, rides, sending positive vibes, blog comments, cards, etc.--- I can’t thank you enough for being present in my life. I know my ‘adventure’ will continue – the road is ahead may have peaks and valleys. But as long as I have friends and family with me on the path, I will be OK.

2 comments:

  1. What great news! Just in case you get a weird e-card from playhouse disney...know that it was from Patty. I'm not sure if it went through but she came to me this morning saying she was trying to send you a post card :)

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep it up, Annie! You have lots of friends, family, and FANS out here who believe in you... including the ones like me who aren't there to help with all of the day to day stuff. Keep kickin' ass!

    Moose

    ReplyDelete