Saturday, August 22, 2009

Beach '09 - Good Times in Nags Head

The Stevens Family finished another wonderful week in the Outer Banks. There was not a drop of rain, the breeze was steady and the ocean ever-changing. We had warm, calm seas the first few days, and then gradually the water temperature dropped and the waves grew. By Friday evening, we were awed by the fifteen foot surf. It was a thrill!

I wish I could say my trip started as calm as the ocean. After last Thursday’s big chemo treatment, it took me a little longer to recover than I thought it would. I was not feeling well (achy, tired, little nausea) until about Wednesday. My brother, Maurie, thankfully drove my car to the beach, so I was able to rest a bit on the trip. At the beach, I took naps, snacked on things I thought would make me feel better, and just tried to enjoy the family activities as best I could. I kind of wish I had another few days to be more ‘myself.’ But alas, reality awaits and all good things must come to an end, so I took the reins of the car this morning, and drove all the way back home.

A few highlights from the trip:
· My mom shaved my head on Sunday morning because my hair was falling out like crazy. My brothers affectionately called me ‘Ripley’ or ‘G.I. Jane’ the rest of the week.

· I rocked out in bandanas and hats on the beach – with no scalp burn, and they stayed on in the ocean!

· I am now a champ at injecting myself with the Neupagen shots. Gimme a needle and I’ll jam it in my stomach. No sweat.

· Chris and his kids survived the crazy Stevens clan – which is no small feat. They enjoy the beach as we do – OR maybe it was their fried pickles and breakfast ‘puffs,’ that won everyone over. Just keep ‘em coming!

· Matt and Dana Miller rode up in their Harley’s to visit our beach front house. It was great to see our long-time friends and my parent’s favorite neighbors.

· Mary Ann and Mike Zorio and Susie Rozell also stopped in for a visit (after a few trips trying to find the place). They drove all the way from the wine and cheese crowd in Duck to visit the beer and chips crowd in South Nags Head.

I have to give a big blog HUG to Amy, who watched Lance while we were gone. And if that were not enough - I came home to a bigger surprise – she stained my entire deck! It looks amazing. Amy – you are the BEST!

Another blog GROUP hug goes to my family – who continually impress me by their kindness and love. I was VERY grateful for spending time with everyone this week – especially seeing nine cousins laugh and play together, and everyone helping me when I was not feeling great. THANKS for making the beach trip so special for me!








Me and my bro, Joe!







No comments:

Post a Comment