Sunday, August 9, 2009

Hair Today - Gone Tomorrow

I knew it was going to happen. I mean, it was inevitable. And when it finally started this weekend – I had no idea it was going to affect me the way it did. I am referring to (dunt dunt duh) HAIR LOSS.

On Saturday morning, I woke up, brushed my hair, and sure enough, the hair started dropping. When I saw the hair in the sink, and in the brush, and felt it falling on my back, a sad and sickening emotion took over me. This was becoming the real deal – there is no more hiding my condition or my cancer treatment.

Throughout the day, when I touched my hair, more strands fell out. It was not coming out in chunks, and not making bald spots or anything. I have a lot of hair. Still, it was very disturbing. I made up my mind – I was not going to keep watching it fall out. I wanted it gone and I wanted to be the one to make it go away.

So, tonight, with the help of Chris and his electric clippers, we went out on the deck and did the deed. Grace and Jake were a captive audience. Erin was working at the pool. All three were uneasy about the process for sure, and they were not alone. After the first few passes of the clippers, seeing the locks fall to the ground, I actually started to relax and even laugh. I mean, here’s yet another experience that I NEVER thought I would go through. And as the hair came off, my head became cooler. Everyone was very encouraging and positive about my new G.I. Jane 'look'. I knew I did the right thing. It was liberating.

Here are the before and after pictures:


So blog watchers - I will be covering my head with a variety of head gear options. I've never been a 'hair' person, and I'll guess I have to be a hat person. Or wig person. Or scarf person. As my NY sister in law says, "whatevs!"

Sure, looking weird will bring unwanted attention that I typically do not encourage, but going bald is a small price to pay for killing cancer. Thanks to the love and support of many, many people, hopefully the weirdness of it all will fade.

11 comments:

  1. Awesome!

    BTW - you may have the G.I Jane looked pulled off, but I bet you can't do those freaky one armed push-ups that Demi Moore did in that movie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not many people can pull off the Sinead O'Connor look because they have weirdly shaped heads. But LUCKY for you that your head is normal because you look GREAT! Bet you feel much cooler with this nasty heatwave we're getting. You may even start a new trend at ULI!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! It looks great on you! I'm so glad you are dealing this on your own terms, rather than letting it beat you. You are an inspiration!

    (P.S. Get some seriously big and fabulous earrings. Make it a fashion statement.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annie, you look maaarvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You still have more hair than Rebecca; she's jealous :)

    Seriously, no more bad hair days, especially in this heat and humidity. And think of how easy it will be to get the sand out next week at the beach.

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  7. and you need a great new lipstick to go with the big bold earrings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had that haircut once. Rachelle had cut my hair after something like 15 Miller Lights. Remember, sunscreen is key.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very hip, you look great! Stay strong. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay so, as a person who spent lots of time bald and with horrible and strange hairdos - can I just say, you look great with a shaved head. For real, for real. I say you rock the Erykah Badu head turban on days you don't wanna wear a wig or anything. http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_3rfBJpk0he0/Sil5N-FcktI/AAAAAAAAAyo/iERLxD81XaE/s400/erykah_badu_b.jpg

    ReplyDelete