Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Back at Work Today

I thought I would join the real world once again and head into the office today. It was not easy, but it sure beats lying around the house looking at dust and opening the fridge about 100 times. I was able to make it from 8:30 until about 1pm, when I hit the wall of exhaustion. Tomorrow I'll try for a longer day.

Yesterday's medi-port surgery was interesting. Fairfax hospital is a maze of confusion. The outpatient surgery center is down in the basement, with poorly marked signage on where to go, elevators, etc. Proving my point was the elderly volunteer who wheeled me out to the street when I was ready to go. He had no idea which set of elevators to take to get me out of the building!

Anyway, the surgery itself was a piece of cake. Mandy, my awesome prep-nurse graduated with me from O'Connell - so that's was a small world story. The medi-port is very small, about the size of a quarter in diameter, and 3/4 inch thick, and has a tube that goes into a vein in my neck closer to my heart. No - I do not look like a Borg from Star Trek, or like someone from the Matrix where they plug me in to a machine. There is nothing sticking out of me. There are two small incisions and a small lump under my skin on my chest – near the bra strap. Of everything that’s been done to me so far – this makes the most sense for administering IV medication.

I have to share a 'Laugh out Loud' award which goes to to my dearest friend Amy, who send me the following email: “So, I've never subscribed to a blog before!.... that makes you my FIRST TIME!..... but I mean, with a title like "Anne's Cancer Adventure"... how could I resist?!.. I heard it's already being opted for a screenplay to do a lavishly gay broadway musical featuring such hits as "One Boob is enough", "Lay off my wig, bitch!", and "Does this pink ribbon make me look fat?"! ...”

Keep sending me the love, people!

1 comment:

  1. Anni,

    Hang in there. You are amazing and you have great kids. I am glad you came on Sunday, and you have a right to be proud. I have been praying and laughing with you. LOL Jill

    ReplyDelete