Friday, July 24, 2009

Day after Chemo

I made it home yesterday around 3pm, and other than being tired, a little itchy and achey, I felt ok. I have been able to eat without nausea and I slept well last night. I have been taking some anti-nausea meds, and they appear to be working. Nausea is one of my worst fears in coping with this, and if I can keep that at bay, I'm golden.


Today my mom, Erin and Grace and I ventured out to do some shopping. No, no to Tysons's or the mall - but to a wig store. I figure I should get one picked out sooner than later. Talk about a strange thing to shop for! My entourage was very supportive and we found one that looked reasonably decent. The ladies at the store were AMAZING with their suggestions and advice, and they made the whole experience as plesant and as 'normal' as it could be.


Here is a shot of the wig I picked out.

I am totally kidding. I tried that one on for fun. I thought i looked like Garth from Wayne's World.

Grace got in on the fun, too.


That outing took a lot out of me, (mentally, physically, everything) so we went home and I took a nap. In between resting, I am checking in with work from time to time, responding to a few emails, staying relavant, putting out fires. Trying to feel normal is very important right now.

Tomorrow the kids are swiming in their last swim team event of the summer (Divisionals) and I am thrilled that all three kids are in two events each. I am planning on going to the meet - and hopefully I will be able to sit in some shade and enjoy the races. I also get to start a 5-day regiment of Neupagen - injections of this help raise my white blood cell count. I need to do this 5-day cycle after I get my big chemo treatments.

Injecting myself, taking tons of meds, wig shopping, feeling run-down - I still can't believe this is all happening. I know what is getting me through this is support from my parents, my kids, all the 'pool moms', Chris, people who have been through this, like Kristin's mom, Debbie, and all the kind letters, cards and sentiments people are sharing with me. Keep the prayers and the good vibes coming - I have to say they are working!

4 comments:

  1. Manuel says to go with a British Parliament wig. He's crazy! I say get a red wig, a blond wig and a black wig so you can dress according to whatever personality you feel like on that day. I'm thinking of you! Stella

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister , who had breast cancer, got a great wig before she lost her hair. She was amazed at how hot the wig made her head. She finally said the hell with it and wore a scarf or cute hat. When she was shopping for a warm hat for winter, she tried the hat on, and the wig came off when she removed the hat. She and her husband had a great laughed at the sales person expression. You have a wonderful sense of humor and it will get you thru this adventure

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to say something about the carpet matching the drapes - - but I decided not to - - heck, I don't even know what that means!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would go with a Prince Albert..it would be very flattering!

    ReplyDelete