Thursday, July 30, 2009

Thursday is Chemo Day

Today in the cancer chronicles, I accomplished many things:
1. Got my wig fitted and styled and instructions on how to wash and care for it. It's my new pet.
2. Got a second dose of chemotherapy (therapy - hah). This was a 30 minute bag of Herceptin, the drug I will most likely be on for about a year. Happily, the side-effects of this smaller dose have not been drastic. Grace tagged along, and seemed un-phased when they used my newly installed mediport to deliver the juice. Maybe she will be a doctor after all.
3. Got a hair cut to match my new wig. I splurged and treated myself to a cut, style AND blow-dry at Haircuttery. I brought my wig in, explained my hair loss story to the stylist, and asked her match my hair to the wig. Somewhere along the lines, there was a communication breakdown. She did a great job on the wig-matching cut, but when I left, she gave me her card and told me to come back to see her next time. I was pretty clear about telling her I was going to be bald in a few weeks - but I guess she forgot that part.
4. Ordered some fun and flirty head-gear to cover my dome – hats, wraps, etc. Nothing says ‘that chick rocks’ like a flowered bandana or African silk head scarf.

All in all, it was a productive day. I have also been feeling pretty darn good the last two days, compared to last Friday – Sunday. Complaints: tiredness, stomach cramps, night sweats, runny nose – all of which I can handle. Nausea – forget it.

Today’s Cancer Fan shout out goes to my sister Jenny and her daughter Lizzy – for bringing over the best darn peanut butter cookies ever made. Second shout out goes to the Kelty family – with their heart-warming card o’wishes and the DVD of Fast Times at Ridgemont High. “Learn it. Know it. Live it. My old man is a television repair man, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.” I love you guys!

P.S.
I am getting a mystery card delivered – with sweet messages and no signature. Whoever you are, you are my angel!

3 comments:

  1. Is one of those hats you ordered a sombrero? 'Cause you would totally rock a sombrero.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is it with Amadie’s need to push south of the border fashion? If it’s not gaucho pants it’s the sombrero.
    Unless you have recently formed a mariachi band named “Los Waldoneros de Oro” or plan on commuting to work on a burro (leave early), I would strongly advice against the sombrero. You’ll get some strange looks, believe me. That’s not confirmation that I’ve ever worn one in public outside of October 31...but I’m not denying it either!
    Since you like to brag you are from the deep hood of notorious Falls Church, VA, I recommend going hard with a gangsta-style classic fedora. If Britney can pull it off, and she can’t hold a candle to you (I‘m sure you can school me on the history of that idiom) then you definitely can as well. Represent girl!!!
    When it comes to scarves, I direct you to the one and only Mike Damone from Fast Times at Ridgemont High (need I mention that is one of the best comedies of all time?). Damone sports the piano keys scarf and you cannot do any better than take fashion cues from smooth-ass Damone. “Isn’t this great?”

    ReplyDelete
  3. I call my wig Ratatouille after the Disney movie with Remy the rat.

    ReplyDelete