Monday, July 20, 2009

Chemo Starts This Week!

I'll add more in a later post for those who want to know the medical terms and details - but for those of you who want an update on my next steps:

Tomorrow 7/21 - Appt with cardiologist at 10:00am. They need an ECG to make sure my heart is healthy before chemo.

Thursday 7/23- first chemotherapy treatment. This will take about 6 hours starting at 9:00am. I have meds to take before, during and after treatment to prevent some side effects - like nausea.

Monday 7/27 - Going to Fairfax hospital to get surgical port implanted in my chest - so they don't keep sticking my arm with needles for all future treatments. I will have follow up doctor appointments once a week (and a weekly injection of Herceptin -preferred drug of choice for my non-hormone-based aggressive cancer) and chemotherapy every three weeks after this week.

Depending upon how effective the treatment is, chemotherapy will be adjusted over the next six months. The good news is that my doctor thinks this regimen will be successful, as it has worked on many patients. All of the preparation before during and after the treatments should help prevent nausea and possible infection. I will lose my hair pretty quickly (so you could see me in a wig in a few weeks -- arrghh!). Another side effect is fatigue - and I just need to keep that in mind so as not to push myself.

Like I said - I'll write up some more details for anyone who wants more of a scientific, physical or emotional report.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Annie, Thanks for writing this blog. I've been getting updates from Jessica on you - - but I've been too much of a pussy to man-up and call you. When you lose your hair - - we can be bald together! At least yours will grow back. PS. I love you, babe! (said with a Sonny Bono & Cher accent) - - JOE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie, I can not begin to understand what you are going through all I can do is offer a ear to listen and an arm to hold you steady through this whole thing and Yes you will beat this by the Grace of God!.
    I appreaciate this log and I agree its important for the big friends and family network you have so we all can check on you and monitor your progress.
    Carl and I love and adore you and will be there every step of the way with you.

    Love you

    Holly

    ReplyDelete